Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Ph.D. Geotechnical Engineering, Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy
M.S. Geotechnical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy
B.S. Civil Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy
Constitutive modeling of geomaterials with emphasis on the effects of non-mechanical perturbations; mechanics of unsaturated soils; theory of material stability and its application to geo-engineering problems
- Gold medal of the Politecnico di Milano for the best graduate in Civil Engineering (2006)
- Rocca Fellowship (MIT-Politecnico di Milano)
- Alert Ph.D. Prize (2011)
Significant Professional Service
- Reviewer for the Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech. and Géotechnique Letters
- Member, Italian Geotechnical Association (AGI)
- Member, ISSMGE
- Buscarnera G., Whittle A.J. (2012) Constitutive modelling approach for evaluating the triggering of flow slides. To appear on the Canadian Geotechnical Journal.
- Buscarnera G., Einav I. (2012). The yielding of brittle unsaturated granular soils. Géotechnique, 62(2): 147 –160.
- Buscarnera G., di Prisco C. (2011) Stability criteria for unsaturated shallow slopes, Géotechnique Letters, 1(4): 85-90.
- Buscarnera G., Dattola G., di Prisco, C. (2011) Controllability, uniqueness and existence of the incremental response: a mathematical criterion for elastoplastic constitutive laws, Int. J. Solids and Struct., 48(13): 1867-1878.
- Buscarnera G., Nova R. (2011) Modelling instabilities in triaxial testing on unsaturated soil specimens, Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech.; 35: 179–200.
- Buscarnera G., di Prisco C. (2010) Discussing the definition of second-order work in unsaturated soils, Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech., 36: 36-49.
- Buscarnera G., Nova R. (2009) An elastoplastic strainhardening model for soil allowing for hydraulic bonding-debonding effects, Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech.; 33:1055–1086.