Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Ph.D. Geotechnical Engineering, Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy
M.S. Geotechnical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy
B.S. Civil Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy
Constitutive modeling of geomaterials with emphasis on the effects of non-mechanical perturbations; mechanics of unsaturated soils; theory of material stability and its application to geo-engineering problems
- Gold medal of the Politecnico di Milano for the best graduate in Civil Engineering (2006)
- Rocca Fellowship (MIT-Politecnico di Milano)
- Alert Ph.D. Prize (2011)
Significant Professional Service
- Reviewer for the Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech. and Géotechnique Letters
- Member, Italian Geotechnical Association (AGI)
- Member, ISSMGE
- Das, A., Buscarnera, G. (2014). Compaction localization in high-porosity calcarenite: numerical modeling of axisymmetric loading paths. Int. J. Rock. Mech. Min. Sc, 71, 91-104.
- Zhang, Y., Buscarnera, G. (2014). Grainsize dependence of clastic yielding in unsaturated granular soils. Granular Matter, 16:469–483.
- Buscarnera, G., Laverack, R. (2014). Path-dependence of the potential for compaction banding: theoretical predictions based on a plasticity model for porous rocks. Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth, 119, 3, 1882–1903.
- Mihalache, C., Buscarnera, G. (2014). Mathematical identification of diffuse and localized instabilities in fluid‐saturated sands. Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech.; 38: 111–141.
- Buscarnera, G. (2014). Uniqueness and existence in plasticity models for unsaturated soils. Acta Geotechnica, 9, 313–327.
- Gan, Y., Maggi, F., Buscarnera, G., Einav, I. (2013). A particle-water based model for water retention hysteresis. Géotechnique Letters, 3, 152 –161.
- Buscarnera G., di Prisco C. (2013) Soil stability and flow slides in unsaturated shallow slopes: can saturation events trigger liquefaction processes? Géotechnique, 63(10), 801 –817.
- Buscarnera G., Whittle A.J. (2013) Model prediction of static liquefaction: the influence of the initial state on potential instabilities. Journal of Geotech. and Geoenv. Eng., 139(3), 420-432.
- Buscarnera G. (2012) A conceptual model for the chemo-mechanical degradation of granular geomaterials. Géotechnique Letters, 2, 149-154.
- Buscarnera G., Whittle A.J. (2012) Constitutive modelling approach for evaluating the triggering of flow slides. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 49(5): 499-511.