Joseph L. Schofer
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Ph.D. Civil Engineering (Transportation), Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
M.S. Civil Engineering (Transportation), Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
B.E. Civil Engineering (summa cum laude), Yale University, New Haven, CT
Planning and management of transportation systems; provision and use of data and information to support effective decision making and evaluation of systems, plans, and projects
- Roy W. Crum Distinguished Service Award in recognition of outstanding achievement in transportation research, Transportation Research Board, 2011
- National Associate of the National Research Council, National Academies
- Wilbur S. Smith Distinguished Transportation Educator, Institute of Transportation Engineers, 2003
- McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science Advisor of the Year, 2002
- Burlington Northern Foundation Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1987
Significant Professional Service
- Member, Chicago Transit Authority Capital Advisory Committee
- Member, Mayor’s Pedestrian Advisory Council (Chicago)
- Member, Transportation Committee, Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning
- Member, Board of Advisors, Institute for Transportation Studies, Univ. of California, Davis
- Transportation Research Board, National Research Council (National Academy of Sciences/National Academy of Engineering)
- K. Coffel, J. Parks, C. Semler, P. Ryus, D. Sampson, C. Kachadoorian, H.S. Levinson, and Joseph L. Schofer, Guidelines for Providing Access to Public Transportation Stations, Transit Cooperative Research Program Report 153, Transportation Research Board, 2012.
- L.F. Audenaerd, D.E. Boyce and Joseph L. Schofer, “A Trade-Space Analysis of Surface Alternatives for Short-Haul Passenger Air Travel,” forthcoming, Transportation Research Record.
- Joseph L. Schofer, Leonard Evans, Michael P. Freeman, Larry L. Galehouse, Samer Madanat, Ali Maher, Sue McNeil, John J. Myers, Robert L. Peskin, and Butch Wlaschin, “Research Agenda for Transportation Infrastructure Preservation and Renewal: Conference Report,” ASCE J. Infrastructure Systems, V. 16, No. 4, December 2010, pp. 228-230.
- Marshall Lindsey, Kimberly A. Gray, Joseph L. Schofer, and Pablo Durango-Cohen, The Effect Of Residential Location On Vehicle Miles Of Travel, Energy Consumption And Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Chicago Case Study, Transportation Research D: Transport and Environment, Vol. 16, pp. 1-9, 2011.
- Marshall Lindsey, Joseph L. Schofer, Pablo Durango-Cohen, and Kimberly A. Gray, Relationship between proximity to transit and ridership for journey-to-work trips in Chicago, Transportation Research A, Policy and Practice, Volume 44, Issue 9, November, 2010, pp. 687-709.
- Johanna Zmud, Julie Paasche, Mia Zmud, Timothy Lox, Joseph Schofer and Judy Meyer, Communications Matters: Communicating the Value of Transportation Research - Guidebook, National Cooperative Highway Research Program Report 610, 2009.