Research Assistant Professor
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Ph.D. Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
M.S. Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
B.S. Engineering Mechanics, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing, China
Research InterestsResearch interests mainly focus on developing novel mechanics-based designs and theories of advanced materials and devices system, in particular on stretchable/flexible electronics, soft active materials, ferroelectric materials and lightweight cellular materials. He has published 1 book and more than 40 peer-reviewed journal papers, including multi-disciplinary journals (Science, Nature Communications and PNAS); and journals in mechanics (JMPS, IJSS), materials (e.g., Nature Materials and Advanced Functional Materials), physics (e.g., PRB), nanotechnology (e.g., ACS Nano and Small). His recent work has been reported by many popular media such as BBC, CBS, Daily Mail, Discover Magazine, Le Monde, MSNBC, NBC, Wall Street Journal, and United Press International
Reviewer for ASME-Journal of Applied Mechanics; Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences; Structural Engineering and Mechanics, An International Journal
1. S Xu†, YH Zhang†, L Jia†, KE Mathewson†, KI Jang, JH Kim, HR Fu, X Huang, P Chava, RH Wang, S Bhole, LZ Wang, YJ Na, Y Guan, M Flavin, ZS Han, YG Huang, JA Rogers. “Soft Microfluidic Assemblies of Sensors, Circuits and Radios for the Skin,” Science., 344, 70-74 (2014) (†: Authors contributed equally)
2. YH Zhang†, SD Wang†, XT Li, JA Fan, S Xu, YM Song, KJ Choi, SN Nazaar, BW Lu, L Yin, WH Yeo, KC Hwang, JA Rogers, YG Huang. “Experimental and Theoretical Studies of Serpentine Microstructures Bonded To Prestrained Elastomers for Stretchable Electronics,” Advanced Functional Materials, 24, 2028-2037 (2014)
3. YH Zhang, JY Li, DN Fang. “Fracture analysis of ferroelectric single crystals: domain switching near crack tip and electric field induced crack propagation,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 61, 114-130 (2013).
4. S Xu†, YH Zhang†, J Cho, J Lee, X Huang, L Jia, JA Fan, YW Su, J Su, HG Zhang, HY Cheng, BW Lu, CJ Yu, C Chuang, Ti Kim, T Song, K Shigeta, S Kang, C Dagdeviren, I Petrov, PV Braun, YG Huang, U Paik, JA Rogers. “Stretchable Batteries with Self-Similar Serpentine Interconnects and Integrated Wireless Recharging Systems,” Nature Communications, 4, 1543 (2013). (†: Authors contributed equally)
5. YH Zhang, R Xu, B Liu, DN Fang. “An electromechanical atomic-scale finite element method for simulating evolutions of ferroelectric nanodomains,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 60, 1383-1399 (2012).